Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
by Julie Schreiber
4 whole eggs
¾ C sour milk (1 Tbs fresh lemon squeezed then fill up to ¾ w/fresh milk)
¾ C unsweetened applesauce (use instead of vegetable oil)
1 ½ C white sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground allspice
¼ tsp salt
2 C gluten free flour (for regular recipes whole wheat flour)
2 tsp baking soda
3 C shredded carrot (cut down to 2C if adding optional items listed below)
1 C flaked coconut
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple w/juice
1 C raisins
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8x12 pay w/non-stick spray and set aside
2. In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and set aside.
3. In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine eggs and sugar and mix until light and fluffy but do not over mix.
4. In same large bowl or stand mixer combine milk, applesauce, sugar and vanilla until just blended. Add flour mixture until just blended-do not over mix.
5. In a separate medium bowl, combine shredded carrots, the optional coconut-walnuts-pineapple-raisins.
6. Using a large wooden spoon or a very heavy whisk, add carrot mixture to batter and fold well.
7. Pour into prepared bake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Check with toothpick in center. Should come out clean.
8. Allow to cool completely, for about 1 hour before frosting then serving.
(Can use a bunt pan if your not going to use cream cheese frosting-only use the frosting if you know cream cheese is not a trigger for you)
Cream Cheese Frosting
½ C butter (unsalted, 1 stick) room temperature
8oz Philly cream cheese (1 pkg) room temperature
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbs Fresh squeezed lemon juice
1. With an electric mixer or stand mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 min on med speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
2. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice and mix. Slowly add the sifted powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get the desired consistency and sweetness.
3. Either spread with a knife or spatula. Can top with coconut flakes.